Monday 11 January 2016

'The Man of Mode' - Post 01


Classical Theatre Performance Assignment –

‘The Man of Mode’ or, ‘Sir Fopling Flutter’

November – December 2015

Introduction

     When our September term began, we were told what our restoration play was going to be and when the audition, rehearsal and performance dates would be.  The play that we were assigned to perform if titled ‘The Man of Mode’ or, ‘Sir Fopling Flutter’.  Knowing little to nothing about the play, I was intrigued to begin the assignment process.  Firstly we began the audition process.

     During this process we were given scene extracts from the play, and were assigned character to try out.  For my first trial in the auditions I wanted to try smaller roles, only so I could practice small lines with the restoration language.  I was then put into small groups and our job was to perform selected scenes and we would take turns in interpreting the various characters in the scene.  Only then could our director see our abilities in performing the different character traits and styles, in the sense that there are rich and poor characters in status, plus we would also test our restoration language reading and speaking skills.

     I personally enjoyed this audition process.  I was able to adapt my abilities as an actor.  Performing as a rich household master, and explore the arrogant nature of the restoration man in power.  Or performing as the poor servant of the household master, and explore the harsh working environment of the lower class individuals of the restoration period.  All of these notes are elements that I hope to explore in further detail through this assignment’s process.  As the audition process came to an end I was given the parts of two characters (I was given two characters as both the character were to be double casted); both character’s ‘Dramatis Personae’ (from our printed scripts) reads:



·         Young Bellair – a gentleman about town.

·         Handy – valet-de-chambre to Mr. Dorimant.



     I for one was pleased to be cast as both an upper class gentleman and as a servant.  I was pleased and excited as I would have two different performance styles to explore and research for the main performance.  Once we all received our performance roles, the audition process came to an end and we began the read through.



Read Through

     It was in the read through process that we all had a true introduction to the play, it’s plot, and it’s characters.  I noticed that my characters lived up to their personae’s. 

     Young Bellair was truly a gentleman towards the opposite sex.  His scripted speeches and movement gave me a true sense of “posh” mannerisms within the character personality.  A few details about the character still remain anonymous to me, therefore research and explorations will be taken into my own hands to create a detailed character profile so Young Bellair is brought to life with exceptional intention.

     Handy on the other hand also lived up to his personae.  The character was just a typical servant to Mr. Dorimant.  I am intrigued by the character of Dorimant, therefore I made it a goal for myself to achieve to establish the relationship between Dorimant and Handy and establish whether it is simple or has more elements to it.

     As the read through came to an end, I did enjoy the language structure of the script, but I did struggle with certain plot elements/details.  But with more time and research I aim to find the true meaning within this play context and its outcome.  Thereby making our main performance all the more intriguing and layered for our audience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment