Monday 25 January 2016

Audio Ensemble - Post 04


Audio Ensemble Performance

Tuesday 5th – Friday 8th January 2016

     Returning after a short break we proceeded with the rehearsal process.  With our minds fresh, full of our previous research, we initiated what we already learnt and put our skills to the test and see if we could bring the play to life, as early as possible before the performance date.



Rehearsals

     Establishing the plot, setting, characters, and tone of the radio play we set about making our performances all the more reflective of what we currently knew.  Focusing on the first half of the play we worked:



·         Pacing

·         Vocal Structure

·         and Questioning our Characters



     Pacing wise, we knew that the radio play was to be thirty minutes long, therefore timing was essential to this play, but how were we going to pace it?  We, as an ensemble cast, agreed that the play had a dramatic progressive tone; therefore we wanted to reflective the rather serious and dramatic build up to the tragic climax of the play.  We took the pacing to lower structure, while select lines and dialogue moments needed a fast pace. 

     An example of this would be found in SC10 Page 19; “John: Saying dirty… I’m not sure I… you mean when I said-  Lovvie: You say it again and you’ll get a smack in the mouth!”  It is in dialogue like this, that the pacing needs to increase a little, in order to establish the thought process of the characters and enhance the dramatic, as well as a hint of humorous, tone.

     As for the rest of the play, we will be taking a slow pacing structure to ensure detail and realism in the characters speeches.  Taking time to explore the setting and characters in a way where the audience will truly envision the story.  Plus, we would be constantly hinting towards the dramatic build up towards the tragic ending, making the audience response all the more effective.



     Vocal structure wise, we had to take our scripted lines apart.  Piece by piece we would be able to understand our character’s thoughts and feelings throughout the play, and project the truth vocally.  Staying as closely as possible to the pacing of the play, we knew to take our time, to articulate each letter and, project exact emotion to ensure truth and efficiency in our vocal storytelling.



     Now, to questioning my character, I took note of several questions, on several performance elements of mine, and these questions I aim to answer in the future when studying and profiling my character John:



1)      What does John want?

2)      Why is John helping Lovvie?

3)      What does John hope to get out of this?



Response to the Script

     After various read through and rehearsal sessions, I wanted to give my personal response to the script, having more background info about the play itself.  Staying truthful to my initial response, I am still fond of the play.  What do I like specifically?



·         The Characters – with each having a unique quality and story to tell I like each of their roles and the impact the plays events have on each of them.

·         The Setting – I particularly like where this play is, I do find a story more relatable when you can truly envision where it is.

·         and The Climax – reading through this play time after time, I do get strongly attached to these characters so when the play concludes it is a little heart breaking to see not all dreams come true.



     Taking in all these notes, I hope to reflect my love for this script vocally to ensure detail and entertainment for our audiences.



Response to my Performance

     To conclude this week of rehearsals I gave myself several feedback notes on what I felt I was doing well and not so well in my performance.  My aim was to establish these positives and negatives as soon as possible to ensure a better progression in the rehearsal process, in time for the main performance.  My self-observation notes were:



Positives:

·         Good pacing.

·         Understanding what the character is feeling.



Negatives:

·         Hesitating on certain lines/sentences.

·         Inflicting more passion in John’s lines.

·         Picking up the pacing for Lovvie and John dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment