Tuesday 9 February 2016

Voice Portfolio - Entry 4


Vocal Development Programme – Entry 04
Date
Thursday 4th February 2016
Exercise Used
Alexander Technique and Rubber Chicken
Vocal Characteristics
Pre-Audio Ensemble Performance:
-          Silent  
-          Nasal
-          and Clipped
Post-Audio Ensemble Performance:
-          Low in Tone
-          Throat Resonated
-          and Articulate
Vocal Reflection
Alexander Technique – this exercise support both an individual’s vocal and physical posture.  The method of the technique has you lying on the floor, knees up, back straight, hands by your side, and head slightly raised (with the support of a book).  The idea of this exercise is to find physical relaxation. 
After a short period of time of rest, taking a spin roll upwards to standing, the individual can adapt their physical being to a new state out of tradition.  Performers use this technique use this method to help them embrace their character’s physical being.  In my case, I used the Alexander Technique to find relaxation and remove any unwanted tensions, in time for my audio ensemble performance.  
Rubber Chicken – alternatively to the Alexander Technique, this exercise is more of a drama warmup game.  The idea behind Rubber Chicken, similarly to Alexander Technique, is to prepare performers physically and vocally.  Physically you are shaking out your entire body, warming every inch of you up.  Vocally you are projecting a countdown for the amount of times you shake out, for example you count down from eight on each arm and leg, then from four, then two, then one, before shaking out your entire body belching “rubber chicken” vocally.  The pitch and tone of your voice can be chosen by you, my preferred variation is deep and low, to really push energy through your body, via the diaphragm, and test you vocal fold adaptability.  I personally like to use this game to warmup before every performance.
Received Feedback
The overall response, post-Audio Ensemble Performance, was a positive.  I personally felt I achieved to the best of my ability when it came to infliction, articulation, pacing, and breath control.
Strengths
Articulation
Breath Control
Infliction
Pacing
and Posture
Areas of Improvement
Pitch and Tone Range – perhaps one area, that wasn’t a main concern for me, that could benefit from some exercise support would be working on my pitch and tone adaptability.  While I feel I did the best I could in the Audio Ensemble performance, I do feel I stuck to one tone, and had weak pitch variation ability.  Therefore for my next practice session, I hope to find a technique that can support this area of vocal performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment