Saturday 21 November 2015

Rehearsal Process Week 04 - Shakespeare

Classical Theatre Performance Assignment –
‘Much Ado About Nothing’
Tuesday 6th – Friday 9th October 2015

Rehearsal Development
     Previously focusing on my characterisation and Shakespearean performance techniques/strategies, I wanted to make this week a main focus in my vocalisation of the character.  During rehearsals we began to notice in my performance that I wasn’t pacing myself.  Nor putting enough detail within my spoken lines.  Here is an example of what I was projecting in the earlier weeks of rehearsals:

 
     It became apparent to me that many of my spoken words were “slurring”, not enough detail that would make the audience question what I was saying.  Not only that, but I wasn’t taking in enough air to support my delivery.  This brought in more and more pressure with my larynx and vocal folds.  With a lack of air comes a lack of clarity and power within your speaking.  These were all error within my performance that needed to be rectified. 
     We established a method to which I can give a better performance and better vocal delivery and this is what I achieved:
 

 
     This new style/method I undertook to make my performance better was simply pacing.  Similarly to the Shakespeare language technique Iambic Pentameter, it was all about breaking my lines apart and establishing the big words.  In my first line we established that key words were: “Signor”, “Leonato”, “trouble”, “world”, “avoid”, “yet” and “encounter”.  What I needed to do was inhale just before I spoke those words and put emphasis within my pronunciation of those particular words.  Giving more meaning to the sentence and putting less pressure on my physical being.
     I used this method for all of my lines for this scene.  I was instantly clear to me that pacing is essential for all performances, to give clarity to what my character is saying and why they are saying it, put emphasising the theme of the scene. 
     My next goal was to practice this method, alongside projection, to ensure that I will give a decent performance for the show week.  
Execution
     How do we intend to execute this performance?  While we are only performing selected scenes from ‘Much Ado About Nothing’, we are intending to execute our performances in such a way that it would seem we are doing a full-length performance.  Plus we had to establish a performance style.  A style which is to be reflected within our performance’s setting, costumes, and performance styles.
     Setting wise, we are setting our interpretation in modern times at a music festival.
     Costume wise, we are basing our wardrobe on what our characters would wear if they went to, or took part in, a festival.
     Performance style wise, we are truly reflecting upon traditional Shakespearean actor’s performances.  Giving a naturalistic and realistic flow to our lines, while physically and mentally emphasising to a degree of pure entertainment value.
Interpretation Comparison
     In comparison to two modernised interpretations we observed (David Tennent and Catherine Tate’s Interpretation and the BBC’s TV Film starring Damian Lewis) we set ourselves a comparison plot, to make our interpretation similar but equally original.
     Firstly, how did these interpretation portray the plot of ‘Much Ado About Nothing’?
David Tennant and Catherine Tate’s Interpretation
·         The play was set in 1980s Spain.
·         Don Pedro’s gang has now become the Royal Navy.
·         Use of modernised props, such as golf carts, guns, and music players.
·         All giving homage to the traditional/original storytelling of the play.
BBC’s TV Film Interpretation
·         The film was set in modern day (2000s) London.
·         Character’s statuses changed from royalists to television news anchors.
·         The spoken language was modernised.
·         Modern responses were added to give a realistic feel to the classic plot (for example Hero doesn’t respond well to Claudio humiliating her at the alter).
(For my full comparison of the different interpretations: http://sdcperformancefh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/classical-theatre-research-blog-3.html)
Our Interpretation
·         Our play will be set in modern times (2015) at a music festival in the country side.
·         Don Pedro’s gang is now a folk band performing at the festival, hosted by Leonato, and they attend as somewhat royal guests.
·         Don John is literally an outcast as he was a member of Don Pedro’s band but decided to go solo.
·         Uses of props, such as walky-talky’s and clipboards are used to convey messages (Leonato learning that Don Pedro is attending the festival; “I learn in this, that Don Pedro of Arrogon is returning” – Leonato, Act 1 Scene 1).
·         Use of modern music will be used to emphasis the larger scope of the play.  Movement montages will be used to pass over plot points like Claudio proposing to Hero and their wedding gone wrong).
     Our interpretation will give homage to the original and, the mentioned, modernised interpretation, all the while upholding a humorous and energising new vision of the classic play. 


No comments:

Post a Comment