Tuesday 11 February 2014

Week Nineteen: Shakespeare

The Beginning of the Rehearsal Process

3rd February 2014
This week was my week back from being absent, whilst I missed some writing sessions and some rehearsal processes, I didn't hesitate to get straight back into routine.  Today's lessons main focus was rehearsals and character development. 
     My plan for my character development was to present a slightly comedic tone to the performance, mainly to keep the audience entertained and interesed, however another point of the scene is the second character, Proteus.  Our teacher spoke to both me and my partner to see how we could present the characters friendship and how we could deliver the lines in the way that Valentine, my character, has to present the fact that he is deeply in love.  Whereas Porteus, my partners character, has to put denial into Valentine's mind, as we learnt from studying the play Proteus is in love with the same woman.  This was helpful as there was some dramatic tension between the characters, also it assisting my use of comedic line delivering as this would suit a modern day comedy production as this would be a perfect senareo for characters to be put into.  This was only the beginning of the pair of us being able to develop our characters but we still had time to create a scene in which we could give an entertaining performance with a layer of a serious tone to it.
     As the lesson drew onwards, our teacher asked us all the question: Have you been professional so far throughout the rehearsal process?  Now I would think I have taken this assignment seriously because I do have a good liking towards Shakespeares work and I enjoy learning and performing Shakespearean plays.  Also when it comes to the rehearsal process I have taken on the fact that there are deadlines for us to learn our scripts and stageing, along with written assessments being due in, so I take on board what needs to be done with the set work and I take them one at a time to ensure I complete every piece of work and develop it in any way I can.
     This assignment has been very interesting and entertaing to take part in.  Because we were able to learn many interesting facts about Shakespeare's work and personal life, which all supports our performance understanding and we can relate to the storys of both fact and fiction.  It has also been entertaining based on the fact that our extract scenes are taken from three of Shakespeare's comedy plays, and it has been very entertaining to rehearse in a comedy performance and witness what others have to offer towards a comedy to make it more entertaining for us and the audience that'll see the finished performance.
     Another interesting part of this assignment is the new methods and techniques our teacher ahd to offer, for us all to learn, which assisted us in the production process.  Such as the new technique which I find very helpful is the new method of learning you lines.  The method is for the actor to read their lines aloud repeatedly which allows your muscles to memorise the words, so when it comes to the main performance the dialogue should spontaniously occur.  I'd recomend it to other actors because you it speed up the rehearsal process and allows you more time to develop your character and less time to learn lines, as you could of already memorised them.  Although there is another method I though was very helpful, performance wise, was the improvisation.  The improvisation assisted us in creating the scene and getting a decent idea of what the characterisation should be like for the main performance.
     At the end of the day, my imput was offering my character development and exploring ways in which we could develop and present our extract scene.

1 comment:

  1. Good work Frank. Could you give me an example at the end of your blog of WHAT ideas you had about exploring and developing your scene?

    ReplyDelete