Thursday 30 April 2015

'ROAD' - Post 05

Off Script Rehearsals
Monday 20th, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd April 2015
What was our goal this week?
     After a half term session, further exploring our characters and learning script lines off hand, we now proceeded into blocking the rest of the play and beginning rehearsals before the production week.  Our initial goal for this week was to block and rehearse the pre-show montage to open ‘ROAD’.  Then we would individually express what we’ve learnt about our characters and how could we further analyse about them?  Firstly we mastered the stage structure for the pre-show.

What did we do to present the pre-show?
     Titled pre-show in Jim Cartwright’s script, ‘ROAD’s’ prologue is an opportunity for directors of the play to introduce key characters and embark the audience into what type of world this play is set in.  Originally written to follow the characters ‘Barry’ and ‘Brenda’ and they decide whether or not to go to a pub or walk round their road.  This brought the perfect segue into the first scene with ‘Scullery’.  However with our interpretation of the play we have removed the characters of ‘Barry’ and ‘Brenda’, but have taken this opportunity to follow other lead characters and introduce the dark vision of 1980s Northern England.

     The structure plan was to have every cast member on stage, in a still image which summarised their character (for example; my character ‘Jerry’ sits in his chair with his hands on his chin and giving the expression of misery and boredom, the still image that, I believe, summarises the character).  Then the pre-show would have audience members come into the theatre, observing these characters frozen on stage but have ‘Scullery’ and ‘the Professor’ welcome the audience and interact with the character as well.  Our director gave us this movement plan for the pre-show stage structure:

 

     By having ‘Scullery’ and ‘the Professor’ move to these characters, in this order, allowed us the change to introduce our characters at an early stage of the play.  Speaking a short sentence and moving in character I managed to show ‘Jerry’s’ aggression towards the youth generation (i.e. ‘Scullery’) and bring forth a sense of age and aggression to the early introduction of the play.     

How did I do in an off-script rehearsal?
     Now knowing the script and decent amount of my character, it was now time to put my knowledge and rehearsals to the test.  When performing I did feel pleased to finally express my development into this character, and show all of ‘Jerry’s’ characteristics and relevance to the story of ‘ROAD’.  So when I received feedback I was pleased to hear the good response as well as some action points for future rehearsal sessions.

     When it came to my vocal performance, my accent needed some improvement.  Particularly on my pronunciation of the letters ‘h’ and ‘t’.  Because in the Northern Accent those particular letters are often absent.  Therefore I set myself the goal to read through my script more times and really analyse the words within the monologue and nit-pick to find any point of strong accent pronunciation.

     Performance technique wise I did receive good feedback in showing my characters aggression and old age, but I did receive a question concerning one line.  This line read: “Sex.  When I say the word now, and when I said it then, it feels different in me.  I know it sounds, you know, but it does.”  My lecturer asked what is ‘Jerry’ thinking on that particular line?  My response was that because of ‘Jerry’s’ mental trap thoughts of the past and old traditions, his view of sexual matters lies only between a husband and wife.  But seen as the youth generation have become more sexually active, he can’t help but feel a real disappointment towards this generation.  Plus this is a sensitive matter to ‘Jerry’ and he would shrug in awkwardness about it.  Therefore I received directing feedback to how I should gesture physically and verbally when speaking that particularly line.

     All in all I found this week to be a really energetic continuation of the assignment process, and a good introduction to the rehearsal process.  I began to receive a clearer vision of the road, and I a managed to receive a better character and performance analysis.  All feedback and methods that I hope to bring forth in future rehearsal session and the main performance.    

No comments:

Post a Comment