Saturday 15 November 2014

'13' Blog 7 - Production Week

Production Week: ‘13’
Monday 10th – Thursday 13th November 2014

Last Minute Rehearsals
     Taking these last minute opportunities, we gathered as a cast and crew and prepared to organise the last few run through, before the open production at the end of the week.  Going through each scene of each act, focus particularly on scene changes and entrance and exit calls.  We focus specifically on these areas because our goal was to give a contemporary theatre feel to the production, reflecting on ‘13’s key theme on reflecting the people and morals of contemporary society.  Plus it would give the pacing and time spend of ‘13’ seem at a natural and realistic flow to it.  All the more making it realistic and relatable for our target audience, of further education students, and seem as a professional and entertaining process for us actors.
     The sessions were a little repetitive, yet I personally found them to be rather interesting.  I took this opportunity to look deeper into my portrayal of the character ‘John’.  Putting my understanding of the character to good use and developing any speech dialect to a level where I was comfortable for delivery, and it was loud enough for our future audience members.  Plus one area that I really enjoyed particularly was developing ‘John’s’ physicality.  Having spent the previous week looking into detail as to how I could portray ‘John’s’ physical structure, I put that to good use and developed it to a level of extreme detail and comfort for myself.
     Taking warm up exercises supported my development of the physicality extremely well, as I could understand what the character’s current state would be (of my choice) and how they would react to certain moments.  I enhanced the use of standing in a tall upright structure and increase the movement within my hands and fingers to suggest ‘John’s’ concern, worry and control throughout the play.
     The end results were excellent and I was proud of what I had achieved, and I was extremely eager to bring ‘John’ for life for audience members.

The Technical Side
     For my job role in the play I was to take on portraying ‘John’ within acts one and two, then allowing another cast member to take over for acts three and four.  This would allow the pair of us to give different interpretations yet relatable characteristics of the same character.  Therefore what was my secondary job role, for when I had completed my portrayal of ‘John’ once act two was completed.  For this I was assigned to assist in the technical sides of ‘13’.
     While we did have some support from second year students, who had the job role of activating the lighting and sound effect queues, it was my job role to ensure they were on time and prepared.  I found this job role to be an interesting experience.  In the past I have experience the job role of the Deputy Stage Manager, ensure all technicians and crew members were on cue for the production.  The difference was this time I was sitting side by side with our technicians and observing first-hand what it takes to produce and cue the lighting and sound effects.
     The lighting and sound effects were essential particularly for this production as it reflected the atmosphere of the scenes, the tension between the characters and even foreshadow future events within the plays storyline.  While our lighting effects were pretty simple with green reflecting a park environment and white lighting within a dark setting enhanced the feeling of a dark society.  But it was our sound effects that brought them to life, either before or after an actor has spoken in character.  It was the sound effects that enhanced the relevance of certain props and montages, all the more to make the storytelling all the more intriguing for our target audience.
     As mentioned earlier my only job was to double check that the technicians were on cue and in time with the script.  But I did enjoy being up in the sound box and witnessing the process of perfection to bring the play to life in fashion which our director intended.  Therefore it was a joy to behold and a privilege to take part in.

Have I Developed?
     As the production week drew to an end I asked myself, have I developed?  To which I responded, yes.  Yes in two formations.  Yes, in the fact that I have developed extremely in understanding my character, the play he is in, and why he fits into the play.  As well as, yes, I have developed as an actor.
     Throughout this assignments process I really come to admire Mike Bartlett’s depiction of a world where morals and responsibility are essential, but are not taken seriously by the youth generation.  I really liked the hidden details and references in amongst certain characters and story arcs, making the play all the more interesting and entertaining for our target audience.
     Plus I feel I have developed as an actor.  I loved using contemporary theatre elements to make my performance all the more entertaining.  As well as understanding and developing all the hidden details from the script and brought them to life through this unique form of storytelling.  I have learnt new strategies and techniques in acting and I aim to keep them and reuse them for any future production work to ensure realism and detail within portraying a character out of my comfort zone.
     All technique and hidden details I have/shall expand upon within blog entries focusing on my character and the rehearsal and production process.

The Production – Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th November
     As the week came to an end, the theatre doors opened.  As each production began and finished I could seriously feel a positive response from the audiences’.  Plus I personally found each performance to be an extremely entertaining experience, as I brought the character of ‘John’ to life the way I intended, and how I hoped Mike Bartlett imagined the character to be.  Making this production alone one of my personal favourites and it has given me memorises which I shall treasure and memorise for any future production work.    

No comments:

Post a Comment